Should you move away or wish to recommend Pilates to a friend outside the area, you may need to find another Pilates instructor.
If you have recently had surgery or are recovering from an injury, you are unlike to benefit by joining a group mat class with a newly qualified teacher. Private sessions are the best way to get started. Don’t be afraid to ask your prospective teacher when they qualified, who with, how many in their classes and whether they teach studio as well as mat work. You should expect to be asked to fill out a health questionnaire. Mat classes are great for strengthening your core and general fitness. Working on the large equipment in a studio is excellent for recovery and having exercises tailored to your needs.
These websites from reputable training organisations all have a studio or instructor search facility:
- Body Control Pilates https://www.bodycontrolpilates.com
- Pilates Foundataion https://www.pilatesfoundation.com
- Polestar Pilates https://www.polestarpilates.co.uk
- Merrithew (nee Stott) https://www.merrithew.com
- Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Instructor Institute (APPI) https://www.ausphysio.com
- Body Arts and Science Internationa (BASI) https://www.basipilates.com