A recent article called ‘All you ever wanted to know about back pain’ has a good summary on current thinking about low back pain and what to do – and what not to do – to deal with it,
It says: that most people recover from an episode of back pain reasonably quickly (within six to eight weeks); don’t panic and continue with your usual work and other activities; and exercise such as Pilates is very good for low back pain.
- Don’t panic if you get back pain, even on a few different occasions
- Don’t rush for treatment
- Don’t be put off by medical jargon and opinions
- Don’t worry about what you read and see in MRI reports
- Don’t be fooled by quick fixes
- Remain active and avoid bed rest
- Return to usual activities
- Exercise helps to reduce pain and prevent future episodes
- Stay at work or go back to work as quickly as you can
- Remember it is the person that needs treatment not just a spine
Read the whole article on the RTE website.